Results Driven, Organization, Goal-Setting/Achieving

Results Driven, Organization, Goal-Setting/Achieving

As a Regional Operations Manager, my business unit had a target of 10% overtime control improvement in order to reach our “Management By Objective (MBO)” profit goals for the fiscal year.  I developed a one-day seminar for hiring managers, administrators, and account managers to focus on ways to improve controls of overtime and achieve our cost target.

The plan called for specialized emphasis in three areas: implementing a hiring blitz using off-site job fairs, improving effectiveness and efficiency of scheduling using an “Integrated Account Master” concept, and identifying and using part-time resources.  I used analytical tools to identify opportunities, and developed and executed the appropriate action plans.  I also mentored my assistant during the process, grooming him to be my successor.

I organized task groups of functional managers and office staff, assigning specific priorities to each group. Over the next few weeks, these teams developed various options to accommodate the reductions; taking into consideration the interests of our employees in making extra pay from overtime, clients who rely on these security professionals, corporate payroll’s demands, and the CEO’s interest in return on investment. Under my leadership, the task groups prepared several different scenarios for making the changes.  At the same time, I developed and maintained computerized spreadsheets that allowed managers to immediately see the impact of their hiring and scheduling decisions.  Later, we used this system and related processes to continually adjust the overtime reduction scenarios, as cost savings information was refined, allowing almost instantaneous mid-course corrections to the hiring and scheduling practices.

My actions to redesign the Overtime Control Program significantly improved the hiring and scheduling effectiveness at client facilities. Both managers and security officers were pleased with the new procedures and processes at these sites. Next, I developed a system for ranking client sites, to ensure that the managers and on-site supervisors were giving priority to problems at the worst-case locations.  All of the client facilities were assessed and prioritized, and the problems at 94 percent of the high priority sites were corrected.  At the same time, I realized it was essential to ensure program accountability at all of our clients.  I developed indicators that stressed the importance of stabilizing worst-case facilities, but also limited the overtime at all sites.  I asked Account Managers to begin collecting information on their progress in dealing with these critical areas.

Results were impressive:  improved hiring rate through process development, reduced scheduling inefficiency 25%, increased part-time resources 40%, resulting in 19% overtime improvement.